Mentorship On Demand (MOD)
This new CAOT mentorship program allows individuals (“mentees”) to seek mentorship “on demand” (when they need it). Mentees will explore the concepts of mentorship, to identify professional reflective goals and to be matched with a mentor based on similar values, interests and professional paths. Mentees and mentors work together for a period of 6 months to address reflective goals established by the mentee and guided by the mentor. This experience is intended to open a new chapter in professional and, often, personal lives.
Who is this program appropriate for?
|Mentees are:||Mentors are:|
|Recent graduates of occupational therapy or
|Occupational therapists or occupational therapist
assistants interested in helping less experienced
|Internationally educated occupational therapists or
occupational therapist assistants
|Occupational therapists or occupational
therapist assistants navigate their career development
|Occupational therapists or occupational therapist
assistants re-entering the workforce
|Occupational therapists or occupational therapist
assistants transitioning into new roles
Why participate in the CAOT mentorship program?
Comprehensive : A structured interactive program using CAOT’s own resources, exclusive to our members.
Personalized : Thorough mentor and mentee profiles are actively reviewed by CAOT to optimize the quality of the match. Program timing is flexible to suit participant’s needs.
Responsive : Program has been built based on member input and retention of the most successful elements from the former Momentum program.
Affordable : Mentorship On Demand runs on a cost-recovery basis.
How does the program work for mentees?
- If you are seeking mentorship, watch two recorded webinars (An introduction to mentorship; Developing goals) and complete the workbook for mentees. These On-Demand resources are exclusive and complimentary to CAOT Members and Associates! Locked content for members
- For personalized assistance finding a mentor, register for the Mentorship On Demand program, submit your completed workbook and receive facilitated matching with a mentor. Mentee registration is available for CAOT Provisional Associates, for CAOT Occupational Therapy Assistant Associates and for CAOT Members. CAOT Individual Associates who are occupational therapist assistants are invited to contact email@example.com in order to register as a mentee with Mentorship On Demand. This program is offered on a cost recovery basis for $99.00 (plus applicable taxes). Locked content for members
After your payment has been processed, email your completed workbook to firstname.lastname@example.org . CAOT will review your workbook to learn more about your goals, professional interests, and area of practice to assist in providing you with a list of suitable mentors to choose from.
CAOT is unable to match you with a mentor until receiving your completed workbook.
- Within 5 business days of receiving your completed workbook, CAOT will provide you with a selection of Mentor Profiles, which includes information on the mentor’s area of practice, skills, experience and more. Review the Mentor Profiles, consider your reflective professional goals, and provide CAOT with your top three choices for mentors.
CAOT will then facilitate the matching process, pairing you with one of your three mentor choices, and connecting you with the mentor via email.
You and the mentor have 10 business days after this initial contact to notify CAOT if you feel that it is not a good match; in this case, CAOT will select another mentor for you.
How does the program work for mentors?
- If you are interested in helping a less experienced occupational therapist or occupational therapist assistant, watch one recorded webinar (Preparation for mentors) and complete the workbook for mentors. These On-Demand resources are exclusive and complimentary to CAOT Members and Associates! Locked content for members
- To register as a mentor with CAOT’s Mentorship On Demand program:
- Download and complete the mentor profile (intended for sharing with potential mentees to help to ensure a good fit during the matching process).
- Fill out this brief survey .
- Mentors who agree to be part of the Mentorship on Demand program will be part of CAOT’s mentor bank for a period of 6 months. During this period, CAOT may contact you at any time to pair you with a mentee. If you are selected as a mentor for a mentee participating in the program, CAOT will connect you with the mentee via email.
You and the mentee have 10 business days after this initial contact to notify CAOT if you feel that it is not a good match.
Once successfully matched, the mentee and mentor will be expected to engage in the mentorship process for 6 months and negotiate a mentorship agreement.
Mentee-mentor pairs can discuss what form of communication they will use. Past participants have primarily used telephone, video calling, and email to keep in touch.
Mentees are encouraged to share their workbook with their mentor at the start as a basis for discussing and working towards their goals.
During months 1 to 3, mentees and mentors will be expected to have at least 2 contacts per month (at least one of these must be telephone, video conference or face to face). During months 4 to 6, they will be expected to have at least 1 contact per month . Upon completion, both the mentee and mentor will receive a certificate of completion. The mentor will also receive a credit for a complimentary Practice Evidence Webinar (live or On-Demand).
Is the program available in English and in French?
Yes! The complimentary resources are available in English and in French. Upon registration, mentors are asked in what language(s) they would be comfortable providing mentorship and mentees are asked in what language(s) they would prefer to receive mentorship. It is therefore possible to be matched with an English-speaking or a French-speaking person, depending on your preference and comfort level.
What is the cost to participate?
The mentorship resources are complimentary and exclusive to CAOT Members and Associates. If you would like CAOT to match you with a mentor, the cost to register as part of the Mentorship On Demand program is $99 (plus applicable taxes). There is no fee for mentors to participate.
I am not a CAOT Member or Associate. Can I still participate in the program?
Mentorship On Demand is exclusive to CAOT Members and Associates therefore you must be a CAOT Member or Associate to access the resources and to participate, either as a mentee or a mentor.
- Mentee registration is available for CAOT Provisional Associates (registered to write the next National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination), for CAOT Occupational Therapist Assistant Associates and for CAOT Members. CAOT Individual Associates who are occupational therapist assistants who did not graduate from an accredited OTA/PTA program and who were not previously registered as a CAOT Support Worker Associate are invited to contact email@example.com in order to register as a mentee with Mentorship On Demand.
- Mentor registration is available for CAOT Members, CAOT Retired Members, CAOT Occupational Therapist Assistants and CAOT Individual Associates who are occupational therapist assistants.
- The mentorship resources are available exclusively to CAOT Student Associates, CAOT Provisional Associates, CAOT Occupational Therapist Assistants, CAOT Individual Associates, CAOT Members and CAOT Retired Members.
The chart below may be helpful for you to identify your membership category eligibility.
|If you are a/an…||You are eligible to become a…|
|Registered occupational therapist in Canada|| CAOT Member
(first-year members and new graduates receive
a 50% discount on membership fees)
|Occupational therapist assistant from an accredited OTA/PTA
program or occupational therapist assistant who was previously
registered as a CAOT Support Worker Associate
|CAOT Occupational Therapist Assistant
|Student of an entry-level occupational therapy program or
OTA/PTA program in Canada
|CAOT Student Associate|
|Occupational therapist living outside of Canada who passed the
National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination
|CAOT Member Practicing Outside Canada|
|Occupational therapist living outside of Canada who has not passed
the National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination
|CAOT Individual Associate|
|Occupational therapist assistant who did not graduate from an
accredited OTA/PTA program and who was not previously registered
as a CAOT Support Worker Associate
|CAOT Individual Associate|
|Health professional or professional from a different discipline||CAOT Individual Associate|
What is the cancellation/refund policy for Mentorship On Demand?
All cancellation/refund requests must be sent in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org . Cancellation requests received within 48 hours after purchase will be given a 50% refund. No refunds will be granted more than 48 hours after purchase or after CAOT has received the workbook from a mentee.
When will I be matched with my mentor?
After registering for the program, mentees are responsible to send their completed workbook to email@example.com .
Within 5 business days of receiving your completed workbook, CAOT will provide you with a selection of Mentor Profiles, which includes information on the mentor’s area of practice, skills, experience and more.
Review the Mentor Profiles, consider your reflective professional goals, and provide CAOT with your top three choices for mentors.
- Within 3 business days of receiving your top three choices for mentors, CAOT will facilitate the matching process, pair you with one of your three mentor choices, and connect you with the mentor via email.
- You and the mentor have 10 business days after this initial contact to notify CAOT if you feel that it is not a good match; in this case, CAOT will select another mentor for you.
What are some appropriate topics to explore with a mentor?
In preparation for the program, mentees will complete a workbook, which will guide you through examining your strengths and your areas of professional growth to assist you in identifying your professional goals. The following are some examples of topics that mentees in the previous offerings of the CAOT mentorship program have explored with a mentor:
- Clinical questions and clinical reasoning
- Career advice (job applications, interviews, resumes, work environments, different career paths, private practice)
- Ethical questions
- Occupational therapy services
- Occupational therapy roles, responsibilities and workplace culture
- Evidence-based practice
- Resources and assessment tools
Please note that Mentorship On Demand is not appropriate as a source for studying resources or advice for the National Occupational Therapy Certification Exam (NOTCE). Please consult the NOTCE Resources on the CAOT website for this information .
What if I already have a mentor/mentee in mind and don’t require the matching service?
Introduce yourself, share your completed workbook with your mentor, and negotiate a mentorship agreement together.
What are the technical requirements for watching the recorded webinars?
- Internet connection
- Adobe Flash Player 13.0. To verify if Flash Player is installed and to update your version if required, click here and follow the instructions .
Because of the Adobe Flash Player requirement, typically a computer is required. If you would like to view the webinar recording on a mobile device, we invite you to consult the Adobe Connect Forums for additional information on your mobile device .
Why am I not receiving CAOT emails?
There may be a few reasons why you are not receiving CAOT emails. Please ensure that your contact information is updated in our database records. You can update your Profile
- by logging into My Account and updating your email address; or
- by contacting CAOT by telephone (1-800-434-2268 ext. 222); or
- by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Certain email domains, such as Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. have a blocked address feature. CAOT emails may be blocked by your email provider. To whitelist CAOT email addresses and ensure you receive correspondences to your inbox, follow the steps outlined for whitelisting email addresses from ‘@caot.ca’ . It may also be possible that CAOT emails are automatically filtered by your email provider and sent to your trash folder or to your spam/junk folder prior to being deleted. Please verify the email settings of your account to ensure you receive all correspondences from CAOT.
How can I get a receipt?
To obtain a receipt, please log into My Account and look in My Purchases. You can then print or email the receipt for any of your previous orders. Should you have any additional questions or experiencing issues obtaining your receipt, please contact us at email@example.com or 1-800-434-2268 ext. 222.