International Students Looking for Fieldwork

Non-Canadian OT students who are interested in a fieldwork placement in Canada must choose only one city/catchment area of Canada to inquire about a potential placement. The student must then arrange to have their home university fieldwork coordinator contact the Canadian university fieldwork coordinator for the catchment area in which they would like to have the placement. This contact must occur at least six months prior to the beginning of the placement. The university fieldwork coordinators will discuss the method of application, associated costs, student requirements, and placement availability.

Please see these websites for information regarding Canadian university*** catchment areas and fieldwork coordinator contact information: and

***The University of British Columbia is not involved with arranging placements for international students in British Columbia and the Yukon Territory. Therefore, international students seeking placements in British Columbia or the Yukon need to contact the placement sites directly.

Please note that students are not allowed to directly contact any Canadian fieldwork facilities or universities asking about placements. This is a strict rule throughout Canada for both Canadian and international students. Please also note that placements for international students within Toronto and surrounding area are unlikely as these placements are in high demand by Canadian OT students and Canadian students are given priority over international students.

Additionally, CAOT provides a networking opportunity to contact individual OTs, called "Find an OT", please click here.

Copyright 2016 Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists
powered by in1touch
100-34 Colonnade Road
Ottawa, ON K2E 7J6 Canada