How are occupational therapy services paid for?

The services of an occupational therapist may be funded by your provincial health insurance plan. Government funding provides access to occupational therapy in:

  • hospitals
  • community health centres
  • rehabilitation centres
  • home care programs
  • Some extended health insurance plans include occupational therapy services as a benefit.  If this is not the case at your place of employment, then you should ask your employer to add occupational therapy services. CAOT lobbies insurance companies to include occupational therapy as an insured benefit on their plans.
  • Workers compensation claims may involve a referral to occupational therapy services if you have a work-related illness or injury.
  • If you have an illness or injury from a motor vehicle accident, occupational therapy services may be covered under your auto insurance plan.
  • Long term disability insurance programs may cover occupational therapy services.
  • If you are a Canadian armed forces veteran, the Department of Veteran Affairs may cover occupational therapy services.
  • When occupational therapy services are not funded by your employee benefit plan or by provincial insurance coverage, there are occupational therapists working in private practice who offer competitive rates.  
Copyright 2016 Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists
powered by in1touch
100-34 Colonnade Road
Ottawa, ON K2E 7J6 Canada