Mentorship On Demand
A mentor may help you reach your professional goals!
Membership On Demand allows you to seek mentorship “on demand” (when you need it).
- Access 6 months of mentorship for only $99.00 (plus applicable taxes).
- Utilize resources exclusive to CAOT members to help you identify your professional goals.
- Engage in a personalized matching process to select a mentor based on similar values, interests and professional paths.
- You can start at any time!
How does the program work?
|Identify your goals||
Locked content for members only
|Matching process||CAOT will review your goals, professional interests, and area of practice to provide you with a list of mentors and their profiles within 10 business days. Review the Mentor Profiles and provide CAOT with your top three choices for mentors. CAOT will then match you with one of your top three mentor choices and connect you with him or her via email.|
|Meet your mentor||Discuss with your mentor your goals, what form of communication you will use and fill out a mentorship agreement. It is helpful to share your completed workbook with your mentor!|
|Months 1 to 3:||Communicate with your mentor at least twice per month (at least one of these should be telephone, video calling or face to face).|
|Months 4 to 6:||Communicate with your mentor at least once per month.|
Receive a certificate of completion for your portfolio.
Experience of past mentees:
“My experience has been much more than I ever expected. It has been challenging, rewarding, exhilarating, and inspiring. I do not have any onsite OTs at my worksite, so I was really feeling lost and overwhelmed. My mentor has helped me look at the both the big picture and the little picture. I am so grateful for the connection we have made.”
“My short-term goal was to gain more work hours. My mentor gave me the “push” I needed to apply. I was not very hopeful about getting in but with her encouragement, I applied and I got an offer of employment! As an IEOT, I have gained more confidence and clarity in my career path here in Canada, all thanks to the program and to my awesome mentor!”
“Working in a new and challenging position as a fairly recent grad, my mentor was able to relate his own early work experience to how I was feeling. I found it easy to talk with my mentor about specific questions, but also discuss about my decision-making process.”
“I love how we are both so passionate about occupational therapy! We talk for nearly 2 hours without even a pause for a break in the conversation. I feel like I can ask my mentor things that I can't at my job. It feels very comfortable.”
“Just as I was starting my first session with a mentor I had a job interview offer that was in a different field than I wanted to enter. My mentor encouraged me to give my best to the interview process and supported me by reviewing my resume and sharing with me her own past experience of how transferable skills and new realizations were gained through the job experience. I ended up getting the job and I look forward to learning and growing professionally and personally through this opportunity.”
“It has been enriching to meet with a mentor who has an abundance of diverse experience in areas that overlap with my experience and anticipated trajectory. Her words always ring true and remind me to pay attention to things I did not anticipate or had forgotten that I know.”
Mentorship On Demand-FAQ
- Is the program available in English and in French?
Yes! The complimentary resources are available in English and in French. Upon registration, mentors are asked in what language(s) they would be comfortable providing mentorship and mentees are asked in what language(s) they would prefer to receive mentorship. It is therefore possible to be matched with an English-speaking or a French-speaking person, depending on your preference and comfort level.
- What is the cost to participate?
The cost to register for Mentorship On Demand program and to be matched with a mentor is $99 (plus applicable taxes). The mentorship resources are complimentary and exclusive to CAOT Members and Associates.
- I am not a CAOT Member or Associate. Can I still participate in the program?
Mentorship On Demand is exclusive to CAOT Members and Associates therefore you must be a CAOT Member or Associate to access the resources and to participate, either as a mentee or a mentor.
- Mentee registration is available for CAOT Provisional Associates (registered to write the next National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination), for CAOT Occupational Therapist Assistant Associates and for CAOT Members. CAOT Individual Associates who are occupational therapist assistants who did not graduate from an accredited OTA/PTA program and who were not previously registered as a CAOT Support Worker Associate are invited to contact firstname.lastname@example.org in order to register as a mentee with Mentorship On Demand.
- The mentorship resources are available exclusively to CAOT Student Associates, CAOT Provisional Associates, CAOT Occupational Therapist Assistants, CAOT Individual Associates, CAOT Members and CAOT Retired Members.
The chart below may be helpful for you to identify your membership category eligibility.
|If you are a/an…||
You are eligible to become a…
|Registered occupational therapist in Canada||CAOT Member
(first-year members and new graduates receive
a 50% discount on membership fees)
|Occupational therapist assistant from an accredited OTA/PTA program or occupational therapist assistant who was previously
registered as a CAOT Support Worker Associate
|CAOT Occupational Therapist Assistant
|Student of an entry-level occupational therapy program or OTA/PTA program in Canada||CAOT Student Associate|
|Occupational therapist living outside of Canada who passed the National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination||CAOT Member Practicing Outside Canada|
|Occupational therapist living outside of Canada who has not passed the National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination||CAOT Individual Associate|
|Occupational therapist assistant who did not graduate from an accredited OTA/PTA program and who was not previously registered
as a CAOT Support Worker Associate
|CAOT Individual Associate|
|Health professional or professional from a different discipline||CAOT Individual Associate|
4. What is the cancellation/refund policy for Mentorship On Demand?
All cancellation/refund requests must be sent in writing to email@example.com . Cancellation requests received within 48 hours after purchase will be given a 50% refund. No refunds will be granted more than 48 hours after purchase or after CAOT has received the workbook from a mentee.
- When will I be matched with my mentor?
After registering for the program, you are responsible to send your completed workbook to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Within 10 business days of receiving your completed workbook, CAOT will provide you with a selection of Mentor Profiles, which includes information on the mentor’s area of practice, skills, experience and more.
Review the Mentor Profiles, consider your reflective professional goals, and provide CAOT with your top three choices for mentors.
Within 3 business days of receiving your top three choices for mentors, CAOT will facilitate the matching process, pair you with one of your three mentor choices, and connect you with the mentor via email.
- What happens if I don’t think the mentor is a good match for me?
You and the mentor have 10 business days after this initial contact to notify CAOT if you feel that it is not a good match; in this case, CAOT will select another mentor for you.
- What are some appropriate goals to explore with a mentor?
In preparation for the program, you will complete a workbook, which will guide you through examining your strengths and your areas of professional growth to assist you in identifying your professional goals. The following are some examples of topics that mentees in the previous offerings of the CAOT mentorship program have explored with a mentor:
- Clinical questions and clinical reasoning
- Career advice (job applications, interviews, resumes, work environments, different career paths, private practice)
- Ethical questions
- Occupational therapy services
- Occupational therapy roles, responsibilities and workplace culture
- Occupation-based practice in mental health
- Evidence-based practice
- Resources and assessment tools
- Navigating third party funders in private practice
Please note that Mentorship On Demand is not appropriate as a source for studying resources or advice for the National Occupational Therapy Certification Exam (NOTCE). Please consult the NOTCE Resources on the CAOT website for this information .
Research has shown that a mentor can assist you with:
- Learning – gaining different perspectives on work-related problems, techniques, problem solving
- Psychosocial support
- Role model
- Career planning
- Networking opportunities
- Support / empathy / encouragement / counseling
- Help with subject knowledge, strategies, and resources
- Discussion and sharing ideas, problems, and advice
- Feedback / positive reinforcement / constructive criticism
Eby, L. T., & Lockwood, A. (2005). Protégés’ and mentors’ reactions to participating in formal mentoring programs: A qualitative investigation. Journal of vocational behavior, 67(3), 441-458.
Ehrich, L. C., Hansford, B., & Tennent, L. (2004). Formal mentoring programs in education and other professions: A review of the literature. Educational administration quarterly, 40(4), 518-540.
- What if I already have a mentor/mentee in mind and don’t require the matching service?
- Why am I not receiving CAOT emails?
There may be a few reasons why you are not receiving CAOT emails. Please ensure that your contact information is updated in our database records. You can update your Profile
- by logging into My Account and updating your email address; or
- by contacting CAOT by telephone (1-800-434-2268 ext. 222); or
- by email at email@example.com .
Certain email domains, such as Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. have a blocked address feature. CAOT emails may be blocked by your email provider. To whitelist CAOT email addresses and ensure you receive correspondences to your inbox, follow the steps outlined for whitelisting email addresses from ‘@caot.ca’ . It may also be possible that CAOT emails are automatically filtered by your email provider and sent to your trash folder or to your spam/junk folder prior to being deleted. Please verify the email settings of your account to ensure you receive all correspondences from CAOT.
- How can I get a receipt?
To obtain a receipt, please log into My Account and look in My Event Registrations. You can then print or email the receipt for any of your previous registrations. Should you have any additional questions or experiencing issues obtaining your receipt, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-434-2268 ext. 222.