Coverage for Occupational Therapy Services in BC

In the public health insurance system, occupational therapy is covered by the Medical Services Plan (MSP). Health Authorities in BC provide access to occupational therapy in the following settings:

In the private insurance system, occupational therapy is funded through several sources:

  • If you have an illness or injury from a motor vehicle accident, occupational therapy services may be covered under your auto insurance plan (i.e. ICBC).
  • If you have a compensable illness or injury from a work-related accident WorkSafeBC may cover the cost of services provided by occupational therapists (e.g. Brain Injury Services, Vocational Rehabilitation, Certified Hand Therapy).
  • A few extended health benefits plans in BC cover occupational therapy. If yours doesn’t you can ask your employer or extended health provider to add occupational therapy services.
  • Health spending accounts (also called wellness accounts) provide reimbursement for eligible health expenses that are in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency guidelines, which includes occupational therapy services.
  • Long term disability insurance programs  may cover occupational therapy services (e.g. Pacific Blue Cross, BC Pension Plan, etc.).
  • If you are a Canadian armed forces veteran, Veterans Affairs Canada may cover occupational therapy services.
  • When occupational therapy services are not funded by your employee benefit plan or by provincial insurance coverage, there are occupational therapists working in private practice who offer competitive rates.
Copyright 2016 Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists
powered by in1touch
100-34 Colonnade Road
Ottawa, ON K2E 7J6 Canada